NIFT focuses on imparting to students the latest in technology and innovation in all aspects of integrating the entire value chain from fibre to fabric & to fashion for the textile industry. Students are also encouraged to respect & derive the best from our own traditional arts and handicrafts.
At NIFT, multidisciplinary studies not only prepare students to solve real life challenges & also equip them to carve out newer paths for themselves. The alumni is recognised as adept professionals in a multitude of creative fields, and their success stories are a source of pride for the institute.
Firstly all NIFT exam aspirants must know, that the exam date is slated for January 20th 2019.
Now as a starting point its vital to understand the overall framework of the exam, including important dates & details for you to be completely equipped with a gameplan!
Note: If you are already aware of these processes, you can directly view our webinar on How to Crack NIFT 2019 in 45 days
Specializations available at NIFT
Firstly let’s begin with the eligibility for NIFT for the B.Des. programs in (Fashion Design / Leather Design / Accessory Design / Textile Design / Knitwear Design / Fashion Communication)
Candidates must be -
Whereas the eligibility for NIFT M.Des (Master of Design) the candidate needs to be
An Undergraduate degree in any discipline from any institute / university recognized by law in India
• Undergraduate diploma of min 3 years duration from NIFT / NID
Eligibility for Master Programme – Management Master of Fashion Management (M.F.M.)
• Undergraduate degree in any discipline from any Institute / University recognized by law in India
• Undergraduate Diploma of minimum three years duration from NIFT / NID
Eligibility for Master Programme – Technology M.F.Tech. (Master of Fashion Technology)
• B.F.Tech. from NIFT
• B.E / B.Tech. from any Institute / University recognized by law in India.
Incase you fall under anymore categories that are not mentioned here & want to confirm your eligibility, please Click here for further information.
Let’s move onto understanding the other aspects of eligibility for NIFT.
Qualifying Age For UG programs
Maximum age should be 23 years. Whereas for PG programs, there’s no age limit.
Selection Process & Dates for the exams:-
It is a multiple stage process to secure admission in to NIFT’s depending on what course the aspirant wants to pursue
NIFT Written Exam Pattern:
The next step one needs To move onto, is to understand the NIFT exam pattern, in order to formulate a strategy to crack it!
The written exam consists of two sessions:-
(BFTech, MFTech & MFM) - 180 minutes
Creative Ability Test (CAT): Conducted for UG & PG design programs to judge the intuitive ability, power of observation in concept development & design ability of the candidate. This section tests the candidate’s extent of power of observation in the development of creative concepts. It also looks for the ability to produce designs in the candidate. Additionally the innovative usage of colour, besides searching for competent levels of illustration and creative skills.
Furthermore one should be able to apply novelty in using ideas & imagination, plus produce an impactful result out of it. One must also have the skills to produce unique thoughts & ideas to design something new.
General Ability Test (GAT)
If one is aspiring to be a fashion designer (BDes or MDes), then the test pattern for GAT is as follows:-
Whereas if your aspiring for the Masters programs at NIFT, the exam pattern is as follows -
Syllabus for General Ability Test (for all programs)
1) Quantitative Ability: The sub test consists of questions on addition, multiplication, division, fractions, percentage, rate of interest, work and task, ratio and proportion, and distance
2) Communication ability and english comprehension: Here the language ability of the candidate in day to day communication is evaluated. Questions on synonyms, antonyms, words with corresponding meanings, singular, plural, one word substitutes, idioms and phrases, correct spellings, comprehend a situation from a given passage are asked.
3) Analytical ability and logical ability: Here the candidate’s aptitude for inference & logic from given information & his ability in identifying the given problem and apply reasoning in solving it is checked.
4) General knowledge and current affairs This sub-test is designed to test the candidate’s GK & current affairs.
5) Case study: (This is applicable only to students of technology)
Here the situation of an industry environment is created & the candidate’s managerial ability is tested. Students from engineering face questions. The number of questions vary section wise & year wise. The level of difficulty in questions for all courses may vary.
Candidate selection for Round 2 Situation test/ GD/PI
Short listed candidates from the written entrance examination are required to take the Situation Test/Group Discussion (GD) / Interview as applicable (except B.FTech).
Eligibility for Round 2: Situation Test/ GD/PI
Students shortlisted in the written exam will only qualify for the next round of the admissions process. NIFT exam pattern for the students selected to the next round.
Situation Test - For UG Design Programs
After getting shortlisted in the written exam, one moves to the situation test. Here the candidate’s abilities in material handling & innovative abilities in a given situation & materials are tested. The models created are tested on space visualization, innovative & creative use of given material, composition of elements, colour scheme, construction skill, finesse of the model & overall presentation.
Group discussions & Personal interview (GD/PI)
Shortlisted candidates for masters programs from the written exam, move onto the Case study based group discussions (GD) & personal interview (PI). The GD lasts 15 to 20 minutes of discussion on a case study assigned.
Here a panel of experts will assess the candidates on-
1) Conceptual clarity 2) Knowledge of the topic assigned 3) Contribution made to the topic 4) Interpersonal skills 5) Ability to generate new ideas 6) Problem solving approach 7) Leadership qualities 8) Effective communication
Candidates are tested on -
1) Career orientation 2) Aptness for the course 3) Overall personal achievements in academics and co-curricular activities 4) Communication 5) General awareness and aptitude, creative & lateral thinking.
Final Selection in to NIFT’s
And finally the most important aspect of the exam, you must know is the weightage assigned to each test in the final merit list. It is as mentioned below -
Now that you’ve got an overall understanding of the structure of the NIFT exam, let’s decode specific sections of the exam. Following which you will be in strong position to formulate a strategy to crack it!
The multidisciplinary exposure of NIFT, enables students in solving real life challenges & equips them to carve out new paths for themselves. They evolve into successful professionals in a multitude of creative fields & their success stories are a source of pride for the institute.
And DQ Labs, as part of this whole process, enables students to learn, acquire knowledge, build skills & practically apply the learnings of the coaching programs.
We wish you all the best in your quest for learning!
For more clarity on the NIFT exam, pls log onto http://bit.ly/NIFT_info for more information
Preparation made easy with smart insights and powerful analytics.
One place for study material and alot of practice !!