- NATA: To get admission into 400+ architecture colleges in India. This test is conducted by CoA. Universities include CEPT Ahmedabad, JJ School of Architecture Mumbai, RV College of Architecture Bangalore etc.
- IIT JEE (Paper 2): To get admission into 20+ NIT's and other Centrally Funded Universities providing B. Arch programmes. Universities other than NIT's include SPA (Delhi, Bhopal and Vijayawada)
- IIT JEE + IIT Advanced + Architecture Aptitude Test: To get admission into 2 IIT's - Kharagpur and Roorkie which provide B. Arch Programmes. In all cases, students must have Mathematics and English as mandatory subjects in their 12th board exams. Students with a commerce background can also appear under NATA. For IIT's - Physics and Chemistry are also mandatory.
National Aptitude Test in
The Council of Architecture (CoA) is charged with the responsibility to regulate the education and practice of the Architecture profession throughout India besides maintaining the register of architects. To do an undergraduate program in Architecture (B. Arch) in India, there are 3 exams that one may target:
How are students ranked for B. Arch programmes in India?
- NATA: 50% of 12th Board score + 50% of NATA Score - Applicants will be given a state rank through which they can secure admissions to colleges in each state considering the reservation categories
- IIT JEE (Paper 2): 40% of 12th Board score + 60% of JEE Paper 2 - Ranking is provided by each of the universities independently through which they can secure admissions considering the reservation categories
- IIT JEE + IIT Advanced + Architecture Aptitude Test (AAT): Ranking will be given based on students completing JEE-Mains + JEE-Advanced and AAT - Applicants will be given an All India Rank (AIR) through which they can secure admissions to universities considering the reservation categories Download the 2020 brochures of NATA, JEE Main Paper 2 and JEE Advanced / AAT for more detailed information.
Architecture Entrance Exam Important Dates and Deadlines
- Test Dates: NATA Exam will be conducted in the month of April 2020 .
- Declaration of Results: The NATA response sheet of each candidate for part A will be available within a week after taking the test.
- Submission of NATA Score Card to CET Cell: The NATA Score Cards must be submitted to the appropriate state CET Cell for Ranking. The submission deadlines vary from state to state. Eg. In Karnataka, the scores need to be submitted to the CET Cell by 24 th June / July 2019.
- Submission of NATA Score Card to other Counselling groups in each state: The NATA Score Cards must be submitted to the appropriate counselling cells for Ranking. The submission deadlines vary from state to state. Eg. In Karnataka, candidates need to apply separately and submit their NATA scores to COMED- K by the middle of June 2019.
- Test Dates: Between January 6 th , 2020 - January 11 th, 2020 for January session and it will be held second time again in the month of April i.e. April 3rd-9th April. The brochure above has more detailed information.
- Declaration of Results: The results will be declared on 31 st January for January session.
- Declaration of All India Rank: TBA
IIT JEE + IIT Advanced + Architecture Aptitude Test (AAT):
- Test Dates - JEE Mains: Between January 6 th , 2020 - January 11 th, 2020 for January session and it will be held second time again in the month of April i.e. April 3rd-9th April.
- Declaration of Results - JEE Mains: The results will be declared on 31 st January 2020 for January session. The top 150,000 ranking candidates will be selected for JEE - Advanced.
- Registration for JEE Advanced: TBA
- Test Dates - JEE Advanced: TBA
- Declaration of Results - JEE Advanced: TBA
- Registration for AAT: TBA
- Test Dates - AAT: TBA.
- Declaration of Results - AAT: TBA
Target Scores and Ranks
- NATA: A target score of 140+ is what students need to focus on to get a good rank in each state. At DQ Labs, our students target and achieve 150+. Our highest score achieved is 171!
- IIT JEE (Paper 2): The ranking is conducted by JoSAA. In the past, the seats at SPA Delhi have closed out within the top 523 ranks. JEE Paper 2 (Architecture)-2019 Cut Off - Closing Ranks (General Merit).
- IIT JEE + IIT Advanced + Architecture Aptitude Test (AAT): The top 2,00,000 students who qualify JEE Mains, are eligible to answer JEE Advanced. Those who qualify JEE Advanced are eligible to answer AAT. Students within the top 9000 ranks have secured admissions into the IIT's for Architecture in previous years.
Structure of the Question Papers and Syllabus
- NATA: 200 marks - 3 hour exam with two parts - Drawing and Aesthetic Sensitivity. Drawing is for 2 hours and has 3 questions (2D, 3D and Theme Sketch). Part A is a computer based test which has 40 MCQ's from Mathematics, English, Architecture Awareness and Mental Ability. Part B, the drawing section is a paper based skill test. Both parts are to be attempted in 90 mins each.
- IIT JEE (Paper 2): You can refer to the JEE Paper 2 Part 1, 2 and Part 3 of the 2017 Question Paper for more information.
- IIT JEE + IIT Advanced + Architecture Aptitude Test (AAT): Refer to the IIT website for the Syllabus and exam structure.